Saturday, February 25, 2012

Just a Name and Understanding Others

Lately, as in the last 6 months, I have been very vocal on my Facebook page, on this blog, and on any news article that I have read, how I feel about this group of Presidential Candidates. And I have also been pretty vocal and some may have thought, combative regarding social programs and the views of each side for the poor and taxation of the rich. I have not understood why some people don't see things my way even after I offer them Biblical proof. So I have been really trying to understand that little issue. My conclusion is that I don't understand them properly. I don't understand their point of view, their personal issues and their lack of or refusal of understanding of Biblical principals. What it comes down to is that no one wants to be wrong once you take a stand. Only very few people can be presented with facts and then say "Hey, I see your side of things and I believe A,B,C but maybe not D but let's talk about it more." There is something in us that cringes from that step. I know this because I have been there. I have been on the hater's side and I didn't like being called a hater because I was sure my side was right so being the type to prove you wrong, I went to the source of right and wrong. And I found out I was wrong. Now what is a Christian suppose to do when they are wrong? Did your heels in and keep arguing the same old tired argument and say loudly over  and over the same thing? Probably not.

   I had a woman who I knew as a passing acquaintance over the years get quite belligerent with me on Facebook when I started exploring the issues of cutting off the funding for food stamps and welfare while bringing the wealthiest incomes in line with middle class deductions (Her husband was one ofthe wealthy I was talking about it seems). Her argument of choice? Repeated statements of "Obama Drama". Presented over and over by me and several others the argument to consider alternative means of reform and equal taxation, she refused to engage in any logical argument. It irritated me to death I have to admit because she sounded so closed minded, not even willing to listen to an alternative view. I finally called her on it, probably not very graciously to my shame, I believe I said "why do you insist on refusing to engage in an intelligent conversation and keep throwing out the one liners like a immature bully does on the playground". Yeah I know, that endeared me to her for life I am sure. She promptly unfriended me. What is bad is that I really haven't missed her because she wasn't part of my life anyway, but I do think about her and sometimes think, was there any way I could have reached her, not to persuade her, but to reduce the animosity of the issue? This is a question I will ask myself I am sure again. I am sure there is a good answer to it, but I don't have the opportunity to try it because really, she was just a name and I never saw her but rarely in Real Life. Like a lot of people, they are just a name on your Friend Board.

There are so many 'Just A Names' on my friend board on Facebook and on this blog There are nameless people who have read it, over 500 at last count, because I subtracted out at least a 1/5 of repeat views and 1/5 of my own. So that left over 500 other views. 500 sets of eyes have looked at these silly ramblings of mine.Those eyes know about my daughter that died and that I longed for a large family and didn't win the beauty queen pageant...just kidding, I haven't wrote about that day! But seriously, it is a privilege to have someone visit this blog and to read my Facebook. I have over 300 friends that see my stupid, mundane, tired, sometimes irritable and other times bragging, posts. Some comment, most don't, like this blog but to know they read it, is astounding to me. So if you are reading this, I want you to know that I understand when you don't agree with me and I never want to be wrong either. I do want someone to let me know if what I say is not biblical with scripture backup. Because I don't want to be wrong because it means my pride is hurt, I don't want to be wrong because I WILL stand in front of God and answer for every silly word that has come out of my mouth. If it were an insult to a democrat or a republican or a blessing on my child, God hears it. And He knows what is in my heart when I say all the words that come out of my mouth. My views have changed because I searched scripture to find out what the Bible said regarding our responsibility at the polls and in the home. I fail at both. But I am concerned that I can stand and truthfully look at the Lord and say I did this (insert action, thought or deed) in Your name Lord. And I am not ashamed. But I also want to say to Him that I always tried to listen and understand others whether they agreed or not with me. And this I pray for myself, my family and for you the Reader of this silly blog. Because I appreciate you and love you.

No comments: